Saturday, August 3, 2013

Artist Spotlight: Drew Reigns

    Recently I had the pleasure of getting in-touch with Movado Music Group artist, Drew Reigns, and let me be the first to tell you that this guy is going places, and fast! Drew is not your everyday rapper, get to know Drew Reigns and make sure you check out his music today.



Q: Introduce yourself

A: Drew Reigns, Front Royal, VA (Helltown), 23

Q: How long have you been making music?

A: I've always been around music. I got my first drum kit when I was real young, like 3rd grade or so. Went on to song writing and playing the guitar. I always had an interest in rap. I wasn't allowed to have "secular" music growing up so when I couldn't get an album I'd download the instrumentals and rap the artists lyrics over his beat. Then I started writing to them for fun. Ages 13-15 that was my shit. I never took it seriously till I was almost 21. Now it's my life.
Q: What was your most recent album, and how was it received?

A: "Moon Walk" was my debut tape. I'm still shocked at all the love it got. I'd been rapping in the basement for a year, dropped "Moon Walk", and it almost got 1,000 downloads by word of mouth. Every ones support was really instrumental in my progression on my sophomore tape, "Now They Know".

Q: What separates you, from other rappers?

A: A few months ago I couldn't answer that question without completely bullshitting. But I've come to realize the thing that separates me from the rest is my mindset and message. I want to inspire progress, change, hopes, and dreams. I'm tired of hearing why WE can't be kings and queens in our own right. Everyday I tell someone I see "I'mma be the greatest." I want to live in a world where someday someone walks up to me and says that.

Q: What is your biggest show to date?

A: Biggest show to date was definitely opening up for Webby. It was wild. The crowd showed nothing but love and I gained some true fans from it. I HAVE to show love and say thank you again to Sierra LaMendola and her brother. They drove 3 hours for that show, saw me perform, got a quick picture and drove 3 hours back home to make it in before curfew. It really touched me and gave me a new energy.
Q: Who are some of your influences?

A: JAY Z is by far the person I study the most. You won't hear his style in my music at all. I just tend to study people I want to be better than. Musically, I listen to a select few that inspire me. Day to day I listen to Wale, Kendrick, J. Cole, Drake, Joe Budden, Nipsey Hussle, Chevy Woods, and Fat Trel.

Q: What's next for you? (next project or tour etc.)

A: My sophomore tape "Now They Know" is coming out this fall. I'm anxious to show my fans I've progressed and gain new support for the whole MVG family. I recently dropped the first single "Livin Out Loud" feat. Trippz Michaud and Dizzy Wright and the response has been great. I'm hype to start releasing the visuals!
Q: What message do you try to convey to the listeners?

A: Truth. I'm completely honest when the beat drops. I'm from a really small town and all I heard growing up was nothing good ever came from this town, and nothing good will ever come from this town. Believe it or not, that's the mentality of a lot of people. They feel like because of different circumstances and situations they can't ever be their "dream self". I want anyone that hears my music to feel like they can chase their dream regardless of their current situation. We're all victims of our beginnings; we're all the authors of our ending.

Q: What is your ultimate goal for your career?

A: Three simple things: I want to make timeless music. I want to inspire greatness. I want to be the greatest.

Q: Where can people hear your music?(websites, shows, download pages etc.)
A: You can hear all my music and watch my videos at www.drewreigns.com or follow me on Twitter @drewreigns

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

Created in 2013, The Under-Cover Album Review strives to bring the world quality music, by quality artists. This motto will continue to be our foundation as we move forward in time.

-Vinny Sciascia, Creator & Operator