Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Week Instrumental EP by The Other Guys

    The dynamic hip-hop duo, The Other Guys, have done it again. What is "it"? "It" is making an album that stays true to the origins of hip-hop. This time, The Other Guys have released their second instrumental album and man is it sick! The Week Instrumental EP, takes you through a week in sounds featuring Von Pea of Tanya Morgan, and J Pope. The beats on this album are some of The Other Guys best work. They have always been noted for their beats and old school feel and this album doesn't disappoint.

    In case you're not familiar with The Other Guys know that they are an Alternative Hip-Hop group that both hail from the DC area. The Group is made up of Isaiah "Insanate" Mensah and Mighty Joe and the chemistry between these guys is unreal. Yes, you van actually hear the chemistry between them. Unfortunately, you don't get to hear any mind numbing lyrics by Insanate on The Week Instrumental, but you do get head nodding tracks for each day of the week.

    My favorite track on this album is "Thursday." It has the most soothing sound I've ever heard on an instrumental, and it reminds me a lot of Oddisee's Rock Creek Park instrumental album, but then I remembered that The Other Guys are in no need of comparisons, for they are a very unique sound that could get comparisons all day, but why compare when you could take them for what they are: a hip-hop duo that makes freaking good albums! Another track I really enjoy is "Sunday Afternoon (Crate Digging)." When I heard it I was taken away by the sample they used. Actually, right after I heard that song I told The Other Guys how impressed I was with that song and how it relates to my life. Every Sunday afternoon me and my brother go to all the record stores in Charlotte and crate dig, so it was neat hearing a song that I could empathize with. I think that is truly what this instrumental really is, an album that you can hear a little of yourself in. That's pretty powerful for a ten track, sample heavy instrumental EP, but that is the reason why I am a big fan of The Other Guys.

*Download this album for free on bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment

About

Created in 2013, The Under-Cover Album Review strives to bring the world quality music, by quality artists. This motto will continue to be our foundation as we move forward in time.

-Vinny Sciascia, Creator & Operator